For first-time readers, each week we pick up one product and discuss the best ways to use it along with possible alternative products. For past discussions, you can check out the Zoom and Slack threads.
This week, I want to kick off a discussion around email clients. We've been using Gsuite for 4 years now and have stuck with the Gmail client. I use the browser version itself.
But there are some really powerful alternatives available -
1. Mail client on Mac - Free. I tried my hand at this a couple of times, but never had the time to put in the effort to switch.
2. Superhuman - Paid, $29/mo. I really dug into the product early this year when I got to read about the startup's valuation. I was impressed by the speed it promises to offer, but I didn't think the price point was justified. Although if you look at it from the perspective of paying to be in an elite club, then it might be worth it.
3. Hey - Paid, $99/yr. Launched recently and gained immense popularity. I only saw the explainer video by Jason Fried but never got a chance to dig deeper.
4. Outlook - Paid. Mostly used by big companies or enterprises. I used it between 2012-2015 and from what I recollect, it isn't something I would switch to, from Gmail.
Here's a few problems I face with Gmail right now -
1. The search is slow and not so great without filters.
2. Unneeded widgets in the interface, e.g. Meet, Hangouts etc.
3. The app has become slower over the years and if you've add-ons sitting on top of it, the performance is even worse.
4. No easy or intuitive way (out of the box) for things like email templates, achieving inbox zero or powerful keyboard shortcuts. You are on your own to figure out and execute the best way to achieve efficiency or set up workflows.
What's you experience with email clients or Gmail in particular? Have you used any of the alternatives I mentioned above?