We're publishing State of Remote Work 2021 & need your help in filling a 2-min survey 🙌

Get daily updates on the best bite-sized remote work content

Archive: Remote Daily
  1. 2

Lol we have a cat and 2 bunnies and they love having us at home with them all the time!!!!  Our pets are our kids, we have 2 human kids and 3 animal kids.  Between the lot, we have a perfect little zoo :D

1. 1

😎... Between the lot, we have a perfect little zoo 

I am exhausted by just the thought of taking care of 5 kids while working from home 🤯- hats off to you 🙏

Plus, we also keen to see their pictures 😎

1. 6

We’re more Google Meet users ourselves as it’s included in G Suite (which we use and have no complaints on).

Can I ask what’s not generous in Zoom’s free plan? Have only been on the receiving end of Zoom calls so no idea if it’s generous or not.

1. 4

Oh cool. I think Google Meet is also much easier since you can add the link directly to your invites. But can people outside of Google ecosystem join calls?

With Zoom’s free plan, there’s a 40-min limit on meetings. While this is fine for internal meetings, doesn’t work so well for external calls or webinars etc. There’s also additional restrictions on features like only the host can share screen.

1. 3

Re: External parties on Meet, anyone with a link to the call can join.

Definitely no limits on time either. However, not much functionality for webinars other than the share screen feature.

1. 3

That’s great. Tbh, we’re also on Gsuite and were using Meet/ Hangouts a couple of years back. It wasn’t as good then I think (I recently had a few calls on Meet & noticed a drastic change in the interface) and so we switched to Zoom.

I think it would make life easier if I use Meet instead - planning to give it a try for external calls that I personally take.

1. 3

I recall similar experiences initially - it was originally highly limited in terms of features (even more than now) and the quality was spotty. At least on the quality side, it’s gotten much better!

1. 3

Just my two cents on Meet vs Zoom: we do a lot of online events, and Meet gives you very little control over the participants. (There’s no “mute all” option, for example, and no designated hosts. I think for events Zoom has a clear advantage. That said, Google Meet works just fine for small, internal meetings in our case.

1. 2

Hmm, that's a great point. I haven't hosted an event yet, so probably haven't faced this trouble. Thanks for the heads up Lindsay :)

2. 2

Yeah I use Zoom for my 40 minute lessons, it has a lovely setup, but the free version is very limited.  I also use another conferncing tool called "Whereby" and has very very few limitations.  It may be an option if you are in a small group!

1. 1

Hey Kirsten,

Sorry for the late reply on this :(

Oh, that's very cool. I had read about 'Whereby' but never got to use it. How do you think Zoom & Whereby compare?

1. 4

I think it really depends on the business. Different industries/fields congregate on different platforms. Twitter is where it’s at for tech, media, higher ed, for example. Instagram for retail, fitness, health/beauty. FB is good for business that mostly cater to local clientele. I think LinkedIn really depends on your role in the business. Could you tell us more about the business?

1. 3

Rightly said. It entirely depends on the type of business to conclude which social media platform to focus on.

1. 2

@lindsayalissa thanks so much for responding and for the insight. I’m a Neurolanguage coach, I teach English and communication to a preferred niche like older people, parents and those in the sports industry. My goal markets. Especially sport because after doing research I don’t find anyone in the coaching industry who has an English as well as professional sports experience and qualifications. That’s what I do, and the area I’m moving towards. Parents who need to be learning English now, so their kids don’t have the same troubles communicating. And the older people are so afraid, I just love love nurturing them. Thanks for reading!

1. 4

This is really cool! I think the marketing category would be of great help to @kirstenboic-427 as she’s currently looking market her services online :))

1. 2

Thanks so so much for the mention @stellarusso! I am going to take a look at this!

1. 2

This is a wonderful article thank you for sharing. One thing I can say after having done this for almost 7 years, it get’s addictive. You become so comfortable in your 4 walls that you sometimes realise its been 3 days since you have seen the outdoors. It can be unhealthy if you are not aware of the time spent inside. My few cents worth lol

1. 1

So true!!

1. 1

Hi there guys! Thanks so much for your replies. Japan is not my only target, I am targeting Europe too. So if you have any advice on good platforms maybe a little less known globally but more locally. Any advice is a learning experience. Thanks so much

1. 3

Thank you for this. Because I work from home as a Neurolanguage Coach, I don’t have to send my kids back to school this year with all this happening. Remote work is the best!

1. 1

Good day lovely people I hope you are all well!
                      I am a Neurolanguage Coach and am looking to market my services online in Japan, I am based in South Africa. There is a very small market here and would need to market online completely. Do you have any advice on targeting the Japanese market? Thanks so much

1. 2

Hey Kirsten,

Welcome welcome :). Just read your background on your profile and loved the entire story!

Unfortunately, I have very little knowledge of the Japanese market. I will try to reach out to others in my network and let you know in case I find anything useful.

1. 1

Thanks so much for your reply! I’m so grateful!! I am not only targeting the Japanese market, if you have any advice about any other markets, I’d be so happy. Thanks so much!