Get weekly updates on remote jobs, while we do comprehensive research on companies.
  1. 3

Hey Mark, really love the Articles you share. Honestly, I never thought of Remote work as a way to cut carbon Emissions.

But I learnt something new and it adds one more point to WFH side😄🤩

1. 2

Thank you so much Aryan! I really appreciate your kind words and I will make sure to keep sharing useful content on this site! 

If you are interested in seeing some more of what I write each week we have a newsletter that gives updates on the future of work called the "The Remote Times"

you can sign up for it here: 

https://theremotetimes.growrk.com/

1. 3

Great post Mark!

It's refreshing to see how each of these companies tweaked remote working to what suits best for them and didn't shy from experimenting at all.

It will be interesting to see how the larger companies like Google, Facebook, Microsoft etc. fare in the coming months/years.

1. 2

I really appreciate the feedback Hrishikesh!! Remote work requires constant iterations to get right for many organizations and I think the ones with the most flexible policies will be the ones who stand to benefit the most.

Facebook and Microsoft should be fine, by Google and Apple might lose some talent in the process. 

1. 3

I enjoyed reading this article!
        Not only have the companies survived the uncertainties of the pandemic, but they have also been able to grow at a tremendous scale. It's all thanks to remote work and the massive shift to a digital-first world.

1. 2

Thanks lucas! I am really glad that you enjoyed the article! 

1. 1

Thanks for sharing! This remote worker equipment survey template will be useful to me.

1. 1

That is great news Cathy, I am happy that it will be useful to you!

1. 1

If companies want to stay competitive, they must offer flexible work options. Similarly, I came across a report which said nearly 40% of workers would leave their company if not given the option of working remotely. Essentially, remote working is not seen as a perk anymore, but rather as the preferred method of working. 

On a side note, it looks like you forgot to include the link to your article. Would be great if you can share the link :)

1. 1

Thank you so much for your comment and yes it seems the link wasn't included

You can check it out here: Why More Companies Are Moving to Flexible Working Arrangements

1. 2

Rick back in 2018 I worked at a startup that allowed remote workers to schedule WFH days 2-3 times a week. This was usually in the case that you weren't feeling too well, had stuff to do at home, or couldn't make it to the office on time. 

Many people would take a WFH day at least once a week and then in the winter two times a week. It seemed to work and now that organization is remote-first based on that experience.

It definitely was an amount of freedom that I wasn't used to but certainly enjoyed. Now, I think it should have to be a request but always an option for anyone. I think as more organizations adopt a hybrid model, they will see remote just makes more sense and default to remote first. 

Check out our most recent article where we discuss the different options available Remote First Vs. Remote Friendly: A Pivotal Battle In Hybrid Work Models

1. 2

That's interesting. I'm pleased it ended well, even if it was just a stepping stone to remote-first. Hopefully that will be the majority of experiences for others now.

1. 2

Shahul, thank you for sharing this article! If you have seen the most recent one from the verge there has been a lot of backlash to this announcement from Apple employees. 

I think Apple is being more conservative because they are still a relatively older organization compared to Twitter, Dropbox, or Facebook and remote work is probably a relatively new concept to many board members who did not adjust. 

In our most recent article Remote First Vs. Remote Friendly: A Pivotal Battle In Hybrid Work Models, we talk about how to conduct an organizational analysis to see how your employees feel about remote work, which processes should continue to be done remotely, and the hybrid models available to you.

Most importantly we talk about the difference between remote-friendly and remote first and why distributed teams benefit the most from a remote-first model.

Let me know what you think!

1. 3

Thank you for sharing this Mark! The current conflict between Apple employees and management about the return to the office is part of a larger issue of organizations assuming employees need hybrid work.

If the pandemic has shown us anything, is that remote work is the best option for many employees and they shouldn't have to give it up to meet company standards.

In our most recent article Remote First Vs. Remote Friendly: A Pivotal Battle In Hybrid Work Models, we talk about how to conduct an organizational analysis to see how your employees feel about remote work, which processes should continue to be done remotely, and the hybrid models available to you.

Most importantly we talk about the difference between remote-friendly and remote first and why distributed teams benefit the most from a remote-first model.

1. 1

There are many interesting points in your article. I particularly liked the explanation about the different types of remote work models. Thank you for sharing this useful resource!

1. 2

Thank you for sharing this article Gren. I definitely agree with your point that hybrid work could do best when employees work remotely by default and then reserve time and spaces when in-person collaboration stands the most to benefit them. 

We recently wrote about hybrid models and assessments to find which arrangement works best for your team in our new article "Remote First Vs. Remote Friendly: A Pivotal Battle In Hybrid Work Models" 

1. 1

That's amazing! It's great that you are making it easy for people to find the best remote work related content. I've subscribed to the newsletter :)

1. 1

Thank you Shahul for your support! Please let me know your thoughts about the first edition!

1. 2

Thanks for sharing this helpful resource :)

It had all the travel and visa information that I was looking for. I would love to work from one of the Caribbean islands, if I had to choose. 

1. 2

I am glad that you found it useful stellarusso! The Caribbean islands seem like the perfect place to work for a year. 

The best option it seems would be Anguilla.

1. 4

Thanks for posting Mark!

Any of these would be fabulous (dying to travel again), but Croatia looks especially appealing right now!

1. 2

Thank you for the comment Aldalima! Yes, it does! I was there in 2019 and it is an absolutely beautiful country. 

There are tons of little beach towns along the coast that would be a perfect place to work from. 

1. 5

Tough question - of founder friends who run remote companies, the most common response i've received to this is: 1. they hire people as contractors instead of employers; and 2. they attempt to avoid these issues simply by paying their colleagues more.

So, for example, instead of offering a company healthcare plan or taking care of home office expenses, they offer more pay so that the people can take care of what they need (insurance, equipment, etc.) by themselves.

Not sure if that fully addresses the question being posed. But at least among people I know, this is preferred way to deal with such issues. 🤷‍♂️

1. 3

Thank you Justin I appreciate your response. 

But do you think this is sustainable and an option for most remote companies? "Lets just pay our remote workers as contractors and more money to account for increased expenses." 

As remote work becomes more prevalent I think there will be plenty of companies who say "Lets set a standard for how much we pay remote employees" But of course the cost of living will continue to increase so they will also be forced to continue to raise the wages they pay every year or so which isn't as sustainable as solidifying a specific benefit. 

1. 4

Hey Mark, Thanks for sharing this report. Just downloaded and will read it in a while :)

1. 2

Thank you Sarah! I hope you find it useful!

1. 1

Hey, Hrishikesh I think this is an incredibly interesting research report and brings up the point of the potential disparities that can happen between in-office employees and remote employees. 

The point I would like to add is that many countries have taken notice of these differences and are working to enshrine remote work into their legal code.

Germany is passing a law that would give remote workers a 600 euro tax rebate for their home office expenses

Spain already passed a law last year that requires employers to stipulate what they will be providing for their remote workers in their contract. It will be compulsory to provide equipment for working from home, reimburse additional expenses, and ensure a safe and healthy environment. 

Mexico passed a law at the end of last year requiring a contract between an employer and a remote worker. The contract guarantees compensation for the costs of electricity and internet as well as the right to disconnect when they have reached their working hours for the day.

In the U.S., California became the first state to legally require companies that employ remote workers to provide adequate seating when primarily working while seated.

I think this trend will continue to develop and eventually become a standard benefit in many countries that value labor laws.