Get weekly updates on remote jobs, while we do comprehensive research on companies.
  1. 2

I am honestly quite disappointed with the big tech firms and the way they are handling this process. They have the world's best minds at work and yet came up with such regressive techniques and tweaks to enable hybrid/ remote work. 

1. 2
      1. 1

@hrishikesh Thanks a lot! 😀

1. 1

Great question Brendan! 
        I am on relatively similarly active on both platforms however for work related I would still prefer Linkedin. 

1. LinkedIn is still built for work related networking as opposed to Twitter. It just feels easier and more authentic, yes it maybe a biased opinion but it matters in my honest opinion. 

2. Target Audience is important, but platform is equally important in my opinion. This takes into account the common notion that people view LinkedIn as the platform to engage with work related content. I can see a lot of accounts on Twitter posting great work related stuff, but it's still sometime till twitter will be a public (just common perception) option for work related networking. 

I just see quite a LOT of noise and trolls on twitter which can just ruin the whole presence of our content, which is one MAJOR drawback according to me. 

I had also like to touch on something Hrishikesh mentioned about receiving more engagement on Twitter over LinkedIn. I believe and I am guilty of it as well that since we know our professional connections are watching and aware of what we are engaging with, we (people in general) are quite reserved. However Twitter being relatively new and less popular amongst the older generation (people higher up in the organizations) might make it ' feel ' safer to engage with interesting content. This is just my opinion.

My twitter handle: @prerakdongaonkar

My LinkedIn handle: Prerak Dongaonkar

1. 5

I was personally very disappointed to read this. I considered Google and Amazon to be amongst the most influential companies and knowing the tech that the two companies have I completely FAIL to understand why they would resist the Remote work option and make it difficult for the employees. 

As I see, Remote working saves a company far more resources, finances and keeps people happy ( If they aren't super micro managed ). 

Although I know about the massive investment that they have made in their infrastructure and perks over the past few years, providing flexible work options is the way forward. I sincerely hope that they come around it and participate in leading the way to reshape the office and work environment that was the 'old normal'.

1. 3

True, I think the clincher here is their existing investment into infrastrucuture. Although I still can't comprehend why these facilities can't be turned into spaces for collaboration rather than having the traditional cubicle model.

The drift away from tech hubs is real and companies like Google, Amazon & Netflix will just lose their edge on hiring great tech talent.

1. 3

Congratulations! These are BIG! 👏

1. 3

Lots of great point made,  Hrishikesh. 

Here's my 2 cents:

- Ideally, the company should be paying for all the necessary equipment as well as an extra allowance for utilities for someone who chooses to opt for WFH. But it's not an ideal case. There's still and probably will stay for some more years/decades a factor of lack of "trust" between the employers and the employees. 

That said, I do see a future and hope for such one, where more and more companies will adopt completely remote (countrywide/worldwide) with more global work practices.

- As for companies going forward with a hybrid work model, I can understand companies like Google have opted for those given the HUGE investment they have made in their infrastructure and onsite facilities. 

I think it's more of a natural step to move towards working from anywhere, like an intermediate step. I am always of the belief that radical changes cause much friction, and need to be taken slowly. 

However, I completely support companies that have made the decision to go fully remote! Would love to have that freedom! 

1. 3

Well said Prerak. I also believe hybrid is a nice way to transition to full remote, we actually did that ourselves at Flexiple and in fact, there can multiple levels of hybrid through which you can progress to full remote.

But I also think that companies should commit a timeline (at least tentative) upfront to go full remote in future. Also, the hybrid model where people have to travel to office some days a week & stay within commuting distance of an allocated office is the worst I feel. It just imposes too many restrictions on individuals without offering the advantage of either in-office or remote. At the minimum, relaxing the constraint of working only from an allocated office is a fair ask even in the transition phase.

1. 3

You are ABSOLUTELY right about having a commitment to move to full time remote. I also do believe Hybrid work model does put a lot of constraints on the employee, specially with housing costs in expensive cities. 
                  I am sure in coming days, companies will warm up to idea of going completely remote. 

Would just like to point out that, meeting in person once/twice a week/month with your colleagues can have a positive impact on productivity, mainly because I believe that it helps break the monotonous remote life, and good to build a person's interpersonal skills (of which not everything can be developed doing remotely).

1. 2

Hey Amogh, 
                My organization mostly uses MS Teams, and we generally have audio calls with screensharing. I think it works quite well for us, but it still gets the work done without having to show our pretty faces to each other! 😂

But on a serious note, I think Notion should be used by everyone, as it is a brilliant productivity tool while also helping people keep track of things! Other than this, for communication, MS Teams has pretty everything needed to communicate with colleagues! 

1. 2

That is great 
                  So we are building a pretty innovative solution 
                  Why not check out the product it is still in early beta 
                  Here is the link www.talkie.team
                  You will find the product demo as well 
                  and I hope to have feedback from you 

1. 2

Talkie looks awesome! But I would love to hear more about how an organization would be able to leverage it. 

1. 3

Hey Prakhar, 

Congratulations on your new role! 
                  I may not know many places, but I can suggest Zostel. I love the concept, you probably may find more primary travellers than primary working people, but it's a good inclusive environment. 

1. 3

Hey Prerak,

It definitely is a big change! I used to live by myself up until recently, so WFH was pretty much without any distractions. But, I've spent 3 months with my family during the summer, working from home, and I completely understand the change and the challenges you're going through.

Even when I go home on vacation I snap at people for no reason because I'm used to having my own schedule and not having to explain any of my actions to anyone else. I know what happens when you include work into that as well.

If you have a separate room where you can work, I definitely recommend you do that and get some noise-canceling headphones. But in any case, sit down with your family and explain to them that the fact you're actually at home doesn't mean you're not working (it's something my family struggled to understand). Create a list of ground rules that will help you manage the situation like another user suggested - set your working hours, tell them when you're not to be disturbed, explain how you're feeling after this big change and how it affects your daily productivity. 

I found that these conversations work, and having those ground rules will really help you take a step in the right direction. However, you need to let some time pass pay until you and your family adjust to the new situation, so don't be too hard on them or yourself if it doesn't work instantly :) Good luck!

1. 3

Wow Bojana,

Thanks for such a great answer! You made some really good points and I will definitely consider them! 

1. 4

Hey Prerak, It is great that you are actually internalising this and trying to find solutions for it - a majority won't even approach it this way, so kudos!

I have read about people putting out display cards on their door showcasing whether they can be interrupted or not - something like a Do Not Disturb sticker when you are in a meeting or in deep work (I will share a link to the article when I find it).

I think it is also about maintaining a consistent schedule which will allow others to get accustomed to also. Basically, tell them that say 9am to 12pm you will be working but will come out for a period of half an hour from 12-12:30pm when you can engage with your family. 

Of course, there is always the option of going to a co-working space for a few hours a day or a few days a week.

1. 3

Thanks for the suggestions Karthik! I appreciate it! 

Yeah I figured that setting a schedule would be the most helpful, and I have struggled with that since I came back here, because it definitely feels like I have a complete 180 turn. 

Yes I think a co working space for a few hours in the day might be the best interim solution while I work on the internals conflicts but also engage peacefully with people around me! 

1. 3

All the best! Let me know what works out the best :)

1. 3

Hi Shahul!

It's so funny, I was actually thinking the same when I woke up this morning. 

I tried Clubhouse yesterday for the first time and, as a curious newbie, I kept on browsing the rooms and didn't really put much effort into one conversation. 

My first thoughts : 

- Experience can be a bit overwhelming (especially when you use it as I did... so I'll try to be more focused and engaged in one conversation next time)

- Being in most of the rooms feel like listening to a Podcast, but I know that other people are listening as well, plus I have this "live show" feeling

- I feel the same vibe as any other social media: same discussions, influencers popping out, and a lot of people teaching you how to improve your "Clubhouse" presence

- I want to express myself, have a conversation (otherwise I'll just play a podcast). Forums feel more equitable in this sense because everyone can write something and read what the others say. We're not obliged to listen to the loudest voice or the guest star. We don't have to take the entire stage to make our voice heard.

Why not create my own room and invite my friends? But I can do a WhatsApp Signal call. At least I won't be tempted to browse what other discussions are happening and I can be present with them. What about inviting my team? Well, it's exactly the use that we have of our Whereby video room when we have our camera switched off. We can pop in the room anytime and see who's there. 

- Using Clubhouse to engage with users as Gumroad does. Sure, it's an easier way than getting in a Zoom event. And you can tune in any time, even if you didn't see the LinkedIn post or read the email telling about the event: just check Clubhouse and find that there is a Gumroad conversation on. But what happens when every brand comes on Clubhouse? How will we cut through the noise? 

So my feelings are a bit mixed about Clubhouse and its potential to revolutionize. I'm very curious to hear read what others think here. 

1. 2

Thanks for this, Sophia. I have only followed the popular media on what the Clubhouse experience is all about. So, this is quite enlightening and aligns with what I thought some of the problems might be.

Invite-only maybe sorts the problem around the quality of conversations. But how the conversations will be more inclusive is yet to be seen. Otherwise, as you say, it might just become a more fancy podcast.

Any thoughts on how you would try to express yourself in the next conversation you want to be part of?

1. 2

For general conversations? I don't know yet...

But I found a practical use case for Clubhouse that solves a huge and unanswered problem: practicing foreign languages. 

I've been in this field (instructing/learning languages) for over a decade and the ability to practice with someone else without the friction of going to a polyglot café or setting up a tandem is one of the major problems that keep people not practicing and improving their language skills.

I think the fact that is only audio can reduce the stress of people that are shy and don't like to feel exposed when they struggle with a language. 

I don't know how you can create easily breakout rooms from a discussion room in Clubhouse, but if so, I have tons of ideas on how to facilitate language practicing sessions. 

1. 1

Hmm, that's a specific use case I hadn't thought of.

I was thinking of it from a social media platform perspective where today I get to participate in text conversations when I want to, but in an audio conversation, I wouldn't know when to jump in and also if I have lost any context if I join in a bit late & so on.

So, was interested to know how Clubhouse tackles such natural drawbacks.

1. 1

I definitely agree. If you join late, it gets difficult to catch up with what has been said and run the risk of repeating or not making the conversation go forward. Maybe a transcript feature that highlights the main points would help? 

2. 2

Great points Sophia. I haven't used the app as much but from what I understand it seems to be a fusion of an events platform and a social network. So questioning on why you should be using Clubhouse vs say Zoom, Whereby or a podcast platform is well placed, just that Clubhouse seems to be aiming to combine all of those experiences.

To be honest though, I was quite lost on what I should be doing on the app when I joined. As you said, I am using other platforms already to cover all use-cases & don't have much complaints around it. Maybe I will explore it a little more and reshare my experience.

Also, I believe the point of having only one person speak, asking others to request to speak & of course the invite-only conditions is to filter the quality of conversations on the platform from the word go. For networks like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, content moderation of any form has always been an after-thought. So I feel that's going to positively impact the app in the future.

1. 1

You're right, Hrishikesh, they did a good job of thinking about moderation from the beginning (though, I'm not so sure that it was for moderation or to create an exclusivity feeling that urges a lot of people to seek an invite, maybe both).

Do you think the invite-only process will be effective much longer? 

I'm not sure about that. Also, I can invite whoever I want. So if a troll comes in, he/she invites all his/her troll friends.

1. 1

True, I think they will still need to moderate/regulate content but the problem would hopefully at a much smaller magnitude compared to the ones we see right now. They also have a number-verification process, right? (I don't remember exactly if I entered my phone number when I signed up). So that's an additional verification.

Also, as you said, all of this is still possible when there a couple of million users but what happens when they want to reach a billion users & whether they will relax these restrictions.

2. 2

Great points Sophia! 

I agree with a few of your points! 

I just joined Clubhouse a couple of days agao (thanks to one of my friend accepting my invite):

- I was quite overwhelmed by the UI. Definitely does feel quite similar to other social media platforms.

- Unavailability to Android users and being invite only is definitely quite restricting. I am not sure how it can replace Zoom entirely, especially with so many other features that Zoom/ MS Teams/ Google Meet video calls offer, screen share as one of the most used features of these calls. 

- While being audio only maybe a sigh of relief for people who stress out on video calls, I believe Clubhouse at best can be a replacement for Happy hour/ Team Bonding meetings where people can be their true selves! 
                              Audio has it's own charm when its come to increase personal connections.

1. 2

I agree with you with the charm of audio! 

I've been back to clubhouse since my last post and my thoughts have evolved a bit, though I still don't see its use case for team's communication: 

- It is indeed easier to join a talk from someone you want to learn from, than joining a webinar (no need to wonder whether your camera should be on and no need to turn on the computer for people that don't have the zoom app)

- it's much easier to express yourself in a room that has less than 15 people. Moderators actually invite you to. I also found that the discussions I joined in small rooms were deeper. 

1. 6

What a great way to end the year on! 

2020 was such a great year for me personally! 

Wins:

- Introspected and re prioritized things. Moved countries to relocate home to spend time with family! ❤️

- Got out of a SUPER toxic career  situation and possibly one of the best things to happen! 🕺

-  Regularly practiced Yoga and kept my fitness game intact while being alone at home! 🏋

-  Got a new work opportunity with a great boss and amazing coworkers all around. 💻

-  Upskilled a HELL LOT in Python and Data Science! 👨‍💻

-  Got to know a lot of wonderful people!  

-  Came across Remote Clan ( Not sugarcoating, but what a great concept! LOVE IT! ) 

-  Spent time with close friends making memories! 

Personal Win

I have a hard time making difficult decisions, I made one this year when I decided to call quits on my life in the US and come back to India. It wasn't easy, but it was quite a simple decision! 

I know 2020 wasn't a great year for everyone, but lets's hope 2021 is a year of transformation and we all keep moving up in life! 

1. 3

Got out of a SUPER toxic career  situation and possibly one of the best things to happen!

I decided to call quits on my life in the US and come back to India.

Wow, really super inspiring! Amazing Prerak - wish you the absolute best for 2021!

1. 2

Thank you so much Karthik! I wish you the same! 

1. 3

Hello Everyone! 

I hope all you are safe and doing well in this Pandemic! 

Anywho, a little bit about me,

I am passionate Football fan and a Crossfitter (it's not as crazy as it sounds)!

Quite intrigued by Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence as I work to make a career in that field!

https://media.giphy.com/media/dsKnRuALlWsZG/giphy.gif 

1. 3

Welcome to the Remote Clan, Prerak!

1. 2

Thank you so much Sarah! 🙏🏻