1. 2

Thanks for sharing Darcy. I also work for a remote SaaS company. I can learn from you.

1. 2

Hey Shehan - awesome!

1. 3

This week I have both work and personal plans.

Work-wise, the team and I are brainstorming a couple of seasonal promos for Creately, while working remotely. This is the first time we are attempting this in a fully remote environment. So let's see ๐Ÿ˜‰.

On the personal space, planning out some home decoration arrangement for the holidays. Will be working on them this weekend๐ŸŽ….

Decemeber is a month where work-life balance seems to be more life than work ๐Ÿงšโ€โ™‚๏ธ

1. 1

Haha, so true. December thankfully is about more life than work ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am keen to know how your remote brainstorming goes - do share your learnings when you've the time!

1. 5

I don't think anyone was convinced with Zoom's stock growing by 600%, it was not going to sustain in anycase. But IBM CEO, Ginnit Rometty is right about remote work being fundamentally a technology trend. This is what Creately Co-Founder & CEO, Chandika Jayasundara envisioned years back. His vision led to the "remote first" work culture for Creately employees. Remote work should be strategy that every company needs to now look at seriously, not only tech companies. Non-tech companies need to figure how to sustain operations in future with hybrid work strategies for employees. It is at their own peril to consider this a passing phase.ย 

1. 1

Non-tech companies need to figure how to sustain operations in future with hybrid work strategies for employees. It is at their own peril to consider this a passing phase.

True words. I am honestly very surprised that people can't see the obvious. Disregarding remote work a year or two earlier was still only a disadvantage vs. your peers. Right now & moving forward, it might create questions of existence particularly in the tech industry.

1. 1

Good point. It was previously under the assumption that only tech companies can easily switch to remote working, but now the pandemic has pushed the non-tech companies to rethink their strategies and identify tasks that can be carried out remotely.

1. 4

Thanks for sharing this interview Karthik. I particularly was interested in the area on employees mental health. In the long run remote teams do burnout. Not having colleagues around or having a one dimensional working environment, can cause this. I'm speaking by experience as I too work for a remote-first Saas business. I feel that more thought leaders should speak about this. Any advice that can practically adapted would be great.

1. 3

Sorry for the late reply, Shehan.ย 

I totally agree. I do believe that as more of the world starts working remotely, we will see more focus on this aspect. It is not only that remote workers are more liable to have such problems, but is also that once it does happen, there is no co-worker around to identify it either. More employee engagement initiatives, satisfaction-measuring methods (surveys, etc.) will be put in place, I guess as we move ahead :).

From my perspective, I think these are the following things that help:

1. Having company meetups (or even smaller team meetups) every couple of months.

2. Offering to pay for a co-working space, etc.

3. Incentivising your employees to join a gym, dance, hobby, etc. (possible reimbursement)

4. I have heard people like @justin-465 go on these randomly organised calls where he gets the opportunity to connect with different people. @irma has started Cafecito for this.

5. Managers should have more frequent 1-on-1s as it might become easier to identify people who are struggling.

6. Have interest groups within one's company so that people have the opportunity to interact on topics outside of work too!

These are some of the things that can be done. There are many more, but I think these would be a good start in the right direction ๐Ÿ˜€

1. 2

On the OP, I definitely share the sentiment that faster burnout and higher churn is real in remote companies, projects, environments, etc. In fact, better engagement + incentivization is one the points we aim to help tackle at Quidli whether your org is remote or not ๐Ÿ†

Re: virtual coffee chats, I've been using for ~2 months now and I've found them to be an interesting way to break up any monotony and loneliness during the week. I try to schedule at least two per week (~30-45 min each) and they more often than not end up being good breakout sessions on whatever challenges you may be facing because: a) you mostly meet/speak with smart people; and b) they're removed enough to give you objective insights, feedback. Highly recommend checking one out if you're feeling the need for breaks between the remote working.

Also, quick question, @karthik - any particular reason why my handle has 465 added? Is there already another justin(s) in the community I haven't seen? ๐Ÿ˜…

1. 2

> faster burnout and higher churn is real in remote companies

Do you think that? Hrishikesh just shared some stats a couple of days back which showed that top remote companies have lower churn:

> Retention rates: Doist - 98%, Buffer - 94%, Zapier - 94%, GitLab - 85%

Also, quick question, @karthik - any particular reason why my handle has 465 added? Is there already another justin(s) in the community I haven't seen? ๐Ÿ˜…

haha, even if there are other Justin(s), I doubt there are 464 before you ๐Ÿ˜†. @hrishikesh can you please help in editing Justin's handle? ๐Ÿ™

1. 1

haha, even if there are other Justin(s), I doubt there are 464 before you ๐Ÿ˜†. @hrishikesh can you please help in editing Justin's handle? ๐Ÿ™

That's a random number appended to avoid duplicates ๐Ÿ˜…

@justin-465, you can change your handle in the settings here - remoteclan.com/settings

1. 4

I'd never doubt the popularity of RC ๐Ÿ˜

However, it looks like there is indeed another Justin... justinahn it is! โœŒ

1. 1

2. 1

Hats off Karthik. I'm with you on all suggestions. Especially about finding areas that are non-work related so employees can relax and simply enjoy each others company.

Every remote working idea needs to be concerned with the long-term. A few methods will not sustain in the long run. Atleast, I can't think of working like that ๐Ÿ˜€

1. 1

Thanks Shehan - I am glad that you like my suggestions.

For sure, every day while I work with my team, I seem to learn something new about remote working. So this learning process is going to continue for all of us for quite some time!

1. 3

Hi Pooja, here is an infographic you will find useful to use alongside your tech articles: 29 Remote Working Tools for Staying Productive

1. 2

Well designed post, Shehan ๐Ÿคฉ

1. 2

Thanks Lucas. Glad it was useful.

2. 2

This is very informative and helpful! Thanks for sharing shehan!

1. 3

Appreciate your comment Pooja. Hopefully it will add value to your audience.

1. 3

Thank you for the warm welcome. As mentioned I am Shehan from Creately, a visual collaboration and diagramming software specifically meant for remote work for both individuals and enterprises alike. Our work policy is "remote first" inline with the USP communicated with our product. Since the second wave, we have been 100% remote and collaborating through wide variety of software and apps. I would love to share my experiences (and the company's) with the remote clan on best practices in working remotely. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

1. 2

Hey Shehan, Looking forward to learning loads of stuff from you :)

1. 5

Creately, the Visual Collaboration brand also has instructed all employees to work from home indefinitely. The company's philosophy has always been remote-first work culture. But with it's core values on keeping employees safe, the decision was made on 23rd October 2020, to make all employees work in the safety of thier homes.ย 

Creately - The Visual Workspace for Team Collaborationย 

1. 3

Amazing news! ๐ŸŽ‰ย 

1. 1

That's great news Shehan. Is there also a post or blog around this? I am always keen to read about what motivated such a move & what are the plans moving forward :)

1. 2

Thank you hrishikesh for your comment. We did share some of our experiences as a remote working company, on our blog and as guests post during the past couple of months. I have asked my in-house writers to look at what we can do for remoteclan.com as I personally believe that there should be more knowledge sharing on remote-work culture during these times. I will get back to you.

1. 1

That would be really great - we would surely love reading your experiences.

Also, an update on a related note - we are launching the feature of adding canonical URLs and do-follow links for all articles on Remote Clan. It goes live tomorrow. So now you can repurpose all your existing/new content and get some SEO benefit. More on this in tomorrow's email :)